[va-richmond-general] Re: Ralph Dog walkers blatantly hite, James River Parks of Richmond (FOWBP)

  • From: "Dummitt, Pam" <pam.dummitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Diane Dunaway" <trees@xxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:22:45 -0500

The arbitrary, adversarial actions taken against Ralph White, one of the
city's foremost citizens, if not THE foremost citizen, is contrary to
everything the Park should stand for. He has probably picked up more
glass than any recycling center in town, and personally connected with
more citizens than any politican ever dreamed of.   I can't count the
number of times I have visited the park when many dog walkers openly
flaunted the leash law without any fear of reprisal. This makes it
difficult for those who are afraid of dogs, or who want to watch birds
(me), to enjoy the park in peace.  If we can't enforce the laws we pass,
we shouldn't pass them. And if we are not going to ensure the public
participates in the protection of our beautiful Park resource we all pay
for, then at least let Ralph keep doing what he does best-he is a
one-man show for demonstrating James River Parks Systems advocacy.

Pam Dummitt

Thursday, March 24, 2005

(Part of this story was also aired on WCVE radio, and I'm not sure if
elsewhere as well.)

Ban On Night Park Use Violated

Manager's In Trouble For Letting People In After Gates Are Locked

By Rex Springston and Jim Nolan,  Times-Dispatch Staff Writers

Ralph White, manager of Richmond's award-winning James River Park, faces
a disciplinary hearing today for opening locked gates in the park
against a supervisor's orders.

Under a new city anti-crime policy, gates are being locked at sunset and
opened in the morning at several park areas, including the popular Pony
Pasture Rapids and Huguenot Flatwater in South Richmond.

White said he twice unlocked gates at those areas to accommodate evening
and early morning paddlers, bird-watchers and dog walkers. Locking those
gates "is an unfair imposition on the very users we want," White said
yesterday.

He added, "I was insubordinate because I simply could not have this
radical change in park management take place. . . . With 20-20
hindsight, this wasn't very smart on my part. It was pretty
bone-headed."

The case raises two questions: How should the city deal with White, 61,
widely known as a tireless leader and promoter of the riverside park for
25 years? And how are the needs of legitimate park users balanced with
security concerns?

With the exception of a special event, it is illegal to be in a city
park after dark and before sunrise, police said yesterday. Until
recently, however, the city had been reluctant to block access to the
parks.

While officials acknowledged that some park entrances are more
troublesome than others, all have been the target of residents'
complaints and criminal activity, said Second Precinct Police Capt.
Michael Shamus.

"You're looking at alcohol, disorderly conduct, drug usage, [sex]
cruising," said Shamus.

Christy Everson, a spokeswoman for the city's Department of Parks,
Recreation and Community Facilities, said it is city policy to not
comment on personnel matters.

Everson said no one was available yesterday afternoon to provide
specifics on the park-locking policy. But she said it is under review.

According to White, city police began about three weeks ago locking
gates at night at three parking lots where people reported crimes. The
lots serve the 42nd Street and Reedy Creek entrances to James River
Park, as well as Forest Hill Park, all in South Richmond. White said
those are problem areas, and he agreed with the new policy.

Almost immediately, White said, the policy "morphed" into the locking of
other city park lots, including those at Pony Pasture and Huguenot
Flatwater, miles northwest of the problem spots.

In mid-March, White said, he locked open the gates of the Pony Pasture
and Huguenot Flatwater just upriver. The gates stayed open two or three
days until a city worker cut those locks off, White said. On another
occasion, White said, he simply opened the city locks.

Some canoeists and kayakers like to paddle under a full moon, said Ralph
Hambrick, chairman of the Falls of the James Scenic River Advisory
Committee and a White supporter.

If the city requires the closing of parks at sunset, "the ordinance may
need to be adjusted," Hambrick said.

The lot closings began with a request by 4th District Councilwoman Kathy
C. Graziano for money to install electronic gates at Forest Hill Park
and the 42nd Street and Reedy Creek entrances -- places about which she
has heard the most complaints.

While waiting for those gates to arrive, police began locking existing
gates, she said.

Graziano said electronic gates, which can be programmed to open and
close at specific times, should solve the access problem.

Graziano said she couldn't comment on White's disciplinary case. But
generally, Graziano said, "Ralph held that James River Park together. If
we didn't have Ralph, we wouldn't have the park in the shape it's in."

Shamus said the lockouts will curtail crime. "We're trying to make the
parks safe and family friendly."

He said locking some parks while leaving others open would not be an
effective strategy.

"You have the possibility that with one park closed and the other open,
you'll just shift the criminal activity to the open place," he said. "It
wouldn't be fair to the residents to enforce the law in one neighborhood
and not the other."

White said he was placed on administrative leave with pay March 16,
accused of insubordination. He said he faces a hearing today at 2 p.m.
at City Hall.

He said potential penalties range from a written reprimand to firing.

James River Park is a series of wild riverside lands and islands
covering more than 500 acres. White, who started with the park in 1980,
oversees it with a staff of two.

Richmond's Web site notes that Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine in December
named James River the "Best Urban Park," calling it "a treasure chest of
natural beauty." White was named "Best Trail Guardian."

Contact Rex Springston at (804) 649-6453 or
rspringston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Contact Jim Nolan (804) 649-6061 or jnolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Times-Dispatch,  NBC12 Survey:

Do you think the city should discipline Ralph White, manager of
Richmond's James River Park, for opening locked gates in the park
against a supervisor's orders?

Yes,

No,

Maybe,

Undecided

Do you agree with White's statement that locking those gates 'is an
unfair imposition on the very users we want?

Yes,

No,

Undecided

This story can be found at:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%
2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031781759683&path=%21news&s=10458559
34842