[va-richmond-general] Re: RED-HEADED WOODPECKER at Robious Landing Park

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:08:49 -0500

Speaking of Red-headed Woodpeckers, a friend of our who lives about 5 blocks
west of Jef Davis Highway near Walmsly Blvd said she sees them occasionally in
her yard. She is not a birder but she described them perfectly. They apparently
come from the nearby DuPont plant area on the James River where there is good
sized preserve. We live on the other side of Falling Creek from there and have
never seen them in our area. These birds have been known to be in the Robious
Landing Park area for quite awhile, and used to be seen in the marsh and
parking lot area of Henricus, but not in the last couple of years, or at least
I haven't heard any reports. I'm not sure why they are down so much in numbers
from the recent past. That might be something we could focus on in this area.

Al Warfield