[va-richmond-general] Powhatan Wildlife Management Area - 8/22/04

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <VA-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:05:38 -0400

A brief stop (about an hour/hour and a half) at the Powhatan WMA late this
morning/early this afternoon produced the following birds and butterflies:
BIRDS:
N. Cardinal
T. Titmouse
W-b Nuthatch
Yellow-eyed Vireo (very vocal. Immature, I think)
HOODED WARBLER - one male, singing, and possibly a female, as well. Got some
good looks at the male.
C. Yellowthroat (female)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 2
Mo. Doves
R-e Vireo
C. Chickadee
Am. Crow
Am. Goldfinches
YELLOW-THROATED VIREO ('twas a red, white, and yellow day!) - saw and singing.
Might also have seen one feeding young - do the males feed the young, as well?
B-g Gnatcatcher
T. Vultures
also found several Wild Turkey feathers

BUTTERFLIES: (almost as many species of butterflies as birds!!)
Carolina Satyr - a lifer for me. They seemed to be all over
Gemmed Satyr - another lifer. Only saw one.
Red-spotted Purples - ubiquitous
possible Hackberry
Common Wood Nymph
Alfalfa
Pearl Crescent
Red Admiral
Meadow Fritillary
Black Swallowtail
Great Spangled Fritillary
Cloudless Sulphur

Anyone ever go to this place on a regular basis? I heard someone does banding
there.

Michael Shapiro
northside
sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx