[va-richmond-general] Palm Warbler

  • From: "leeanna pletcher" <thebuttons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:20:16 -0400

On Sunday, I went birding on the Beaver Lake trail at Pocahantas State Park.
I was in a marshy area, trying to get a closer look at two wading birds out
on the lake. Then, a yellow flash caught my eye. A Palm Warbler was tail
bobbing and picking through the leaves. It hopped up on a nearby fallen log,
and hung around long enough for me to ID. It was my first Palm Warbler.
Other birds include a Chipping Sparrow by the CCC museum
Killdeers
Belted Kingfisher
Red Winged Blackbird
Great Blue Heron
Blue Grey Gnatcatchers
Eastern Bluebirds
Chickadees

We also saw 2 snakes. The first was a Ribbon Snake, crossing the trail. The
second was in the water. It looked a lot like a Milksnake, but we were
confused because it spent so much time in the water. It might have been a
juvenile Northern Watersnake. It had large diamonds of red, outlined with
black and light gray. It did have the characteristics of a poisonous snake.
Overall, a very beautiful day.
Leeanna Pletcher
Richmond, VA