[va-richmond-general] New Birding Spot

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:03:20 +0000

Mike and I spent Earth Day in a "new wetland" we discovered just behind our
neighborhood. The wetland, mitigated from the I-295 construction > a decade ago
has, thanks to our beaver friends been tailored into a nature lover's paradise.
Knee-high boots were needed but that should keep out some of the riff-raff. We
did some litter removal and then installed 2 Wood duck boxes and 10 Bluebird
boxes. It was hard for me to be a good carpenter's helper as so much was flying
about to photograph and scope. The best was a flotilla of freshly fledged downy
goslings swimming in between Mom and Dad. Another pair of Canada Geese sat
tightly on their nest. A surprise sighting of a pair of Spotted Sand-pipers in
great plumage bobbed along the beaver dams. A Beaver gave us the tail slap as
we unnknowingly got too close to his territory.

Here's the highlights-yeah we got wet-soaked in fact but it was great out there.

Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose and goslings