[va-richmond-general] Re: Heron

  • From: Kim Harrell <flyingfish1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 23:22:00 -0400

I watched one hunting in the little stormwater catch-basin by Borders Books on West Broad Street once. That same week I was walking across the parking lot at Virginia Center Commons at night, when a startled heron squawked and bolted out of the runoff pond there in the middle of the lot. Admirably adaptable.

Kim Harrell

On Wednesday, September 7, 2005, at 08:25 PM, tyler turpin wrote:

As long as there is some open water with prey items available in VA some Great Blue Herons will be around I do not know the temp level of below (x) degrees for at least (x) days that makes them go away . There are always at least 8 Great Blues reported in Rockbridge County Christmas bird count. My grandparents on both sides of my family are from there and we get the local paper which publishes the results each year. I saw one in Buffalo Creek in Rockbridge County in January two years ago near Murat, VA. Great Blue Herons have been thriving and reclaming ground lost even 100 years ago. We must still be vigilant in habitat protection. Many like lakes built in developments as long as there is a non built on area or island people do not go on. The lake at West Creek Office Park has a bunch that are pretty tolerant of people. In the late 1990's or in the year 2000 Smithsonian Magazine did a large article on how well Great Blue Herons are doing.
Sincerely,

Tyler Turpin

-----Original Message----- From: Barbara Williamson <barbaraawmson@xxxxxxxx> Sent: Sep 7, 2005 3:29 PM To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [va-richmond-general] Re: Heron

I was in Washington County, VA canoeing on the Middle Fork of the Holston
river when I rounded a bend and there before us was a Great Blue. He
flew into a tree on the bank and watched us paddle past. I grew up near
the Middle Fork near Abingdon - never seen a heron in that part of the
world before.

BW
va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit, //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.