[va-richmond-general] Henricus on Sunday

  • From: ben saunders <betsyben@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:49:41 -0400

        We had a sunny, cool day to bird  Henricus.  Stops at the marsh
yielded six Great Egrets feeding close to the road.  The path to the
bluff/boardwalk was closed due to construction, so we walked back into
the Dutch Gap section.  The flyash pond was deserted, but the fence was
lined with young Bluebirds.  We also had a Yellow throated Warbler, Blue
Gray Gnatcatchers and a Kingbird family on the fence.  At one point we
watched a mature Bald Eagle kettling with a Red Tailed Hawk and a Kestrel
as Tree Swallows flew below them.  Our most notable bird was a female
Black Throated Blue flitting in the woods.  (Thanks, Tyler!) We had a
total of 56 species.

Betsy Saunders