[va-richmond-general] Friday @ Henricus/Dutch Gap

  • From: "Diane Bumpass" <dbumpass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:14:05 -0500

Yesterday, I went to Henricus in spite of high winds.  The little birds were
mostly hiding somewhere where they wouldn't get blown away although I did
see a group of about 10 yellow rumped warblers.  The winds also seemed to
prompt more of the larger birds to fly and I saw several groups of ducks and
great blue heron flying short distances and landing.  The gulls seemed to be
able to just hover in mid air, even more so than usual.  Upon leaving, I saw
a log with about 10 turtles sunning on it.

I saw a really large bird (maybe eagle sized) that I couldn't identify at
the pond as you come into the park.  He was dark brown and looked like a
pile of leaves (feathers all ruffled), but I didn't get a better look as he
soon flew off.

American widgeons
ring necked ducks
mallards