[va-richmond-general] Re: Egrets

  • From: tyler turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:28:55 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I  saw my first Black Crowned Night Heron and first wild Night Heron period
ever and it was in the daytime one December day back in 1992  about 6 hours
before one of the ice storms hit. years later when I lived in Baltimore
199-2002 I saw Yellow Crowned Night Herons all over the inner harbor area and
Black Crowned Night Herons on the unpolluted streatch of the Jones Falls River
on the edge of the Village of Mt. Washington on the county city line by my
apartment. I  have learned to count on Night Herons as a sign of bad weather if
you see an adult bird  out activelyfeeding more than an hour an half before
sunset. they sense bad weather is coming so they work to get a good meal in
before the storm comes that night.
Seeing Sue's report of Spotted Sand Pipers at Bryan Park I will give Sunken
Meadows a quick look on my home from work as I work in Hopewell.

Sincerely,

Tyler Turpin