[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap today

  • From: "Bob Reilly" <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:09:33 -0400

Showed Jethro Runco (bander at Kiptopeke and 1st Landing State Park) around
Dutch Gap today.  It was his first visit there. The banding station at 1st
Landing was closed  for the day due to high winds.  Prothonotaries,
redstarts, and yellow-throated warblers were all in good numbers along the
Dutch gap loop.  Baltimore and orchard orioles were present, as was a
western palm warbler.  Most surprising, however, was the following:  As I
was pulling up to one of the marsh overlooks at Henricus, Jethro says "gee,
looks like a good place to find a moorhen."  We got out of the car, walked
over to the edge of the overlook, and immediately looked down on a moorhen!
He evaded my request to "do that again!"

Bob Reilly