[va-richmond-general] Cormorants on lakes

  • From: tyler turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: richmond listserve <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:09:20 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Mr. Barnett
Thank you for reporting the Cormorants at U of R lake. They made a year round
presence at Canterbury lake off Pump Road starting 3 or 4 years ago.Cormorants
have made a great comeback in less than 20 years. In the early 1990's they were
only a few at the Jamestown Ferry dock. They are now year round even on Lake
Robinson in Rockbridge County (the county around Lexington VA) I have started
to keep track of the ponds and lakes a mile or more from the rivers that do not
connect to a  river  or only connect to a river by a mile or more of creek and
contain Cormorants. I have the following locations so far by personal
observation or listserve reports:What other inland locations can we add?

Rockwood Park            Chesterfield
Swift Creek Reservoir    Chesterfield
Harrison Lake            Charles City
Canterbury Lake           Henrico
Tuckahoe Creek Route 6 vicinity  Goochland/Henrico
Curles Neck inland former gravel mine ponds Henrico
Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens  Henrico
U  of R lake                     Henrico
Byrd Park Lakes          Richmond