[va-richmond-general] Carrillon, Red-headed wp

  • From: "William Benish & Robyn Puffenbarger" <wcbenish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:01:58 -0500

Hello All,

On Sunday afternoon, Robyn and I had the good fortune of meeting up with
Larry Rohr at Richmond's Carrillon (please forgive possible spelling
blunder), near Maymont Park and the Boulevard.

Larry advised that he had been seeing regular woodpecker activity in the
area, but something seemed odd to him about one of the birds.  When he
showed us the woodpecker's tree, we saw a young Red-headed Woodpecker.
It called and made several short flights between trees occasionally
exhibiting a flight pattern which seemed like brief flycatching.
Its head was not yet fully red with a mostly dark above, but it showed a
bit of the crimson coming in.
I believe we had RHWP in the same vicinity a couple years earlier.

We also picked up an immature Bald Eagle high over head, kettling with
gulls.  Earlier, we saw it only by naked-eye at much higher altitude,
possibly with two others.

-a funYellow-bellied Sapsucker also sounded off in a spot near the
Carrillon where we have seen consistent sapsuckers frequently in other
winters.

Larry also mentioned the recent and regular presence of calling and
likely breeding Great Horned Owls in a nearby pine as well.

What a lovely city.  The nearby James river is so gorgeous with the
dedication of parkland and limited damming.  When crossing the Boulevard
/ Nickel Bridge from the south, the Carrillon monument is a lovely
sight.

We miss living in Richmond with its legacy of birders and places to
bird.
Happy holidays and good cheer.

Bill Benish & Robyn Puffenbarger
Shenandoah Valley-  Bridgewater, VA