[va-richmond-general] Black Terns and a Miss. Kite 8/1

  • From: "Adam D'Onofrio" <BIGADFROMLB@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Virginia Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Virginia Birds-Richmond <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:49:33 -0500

On my way home from work today, I stopped by Henricus Park in
Chesterfield Co. to look for the Black Terns that were reported
yesterday on the Richmond list-serve.  I went over to the pond where the
terns were yesterday.  The pond is about a 1/4 mile down the Dutch Gap
conservation trail which is behind the visitors center.  You have to go
up the hill to the right of the trail and look through a chain link
fence.  At 3 PM, there were 4 Black Terns feeding over the pond.  I
viewed them for about 15 minutes.  Although the terns are mostly black,
all 4 are in transition between alternate and basic plumage.  Also, when
I got home from work at around 3:45 PM, there was a single Miss. Kite
hunting over the field across the street from my house on Smith Grove
Rd, the same place that I saw 5 kites yesterday afternoon.  Good
birding.

Adam D'Onofrio
Dinwiddie Co.