[va-richmond-general] And a nesting redtail closer to home...

  • From: Deannamail@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:33:22 EDT

We've got a redtail nest in our woods adjacent to Totopotomoy Creek, with an
occupant female at present, apparently incubating eggs.  The nest is in a pine
tree immediately adjacent to our newly built screened playhouse.  It has a
birds-eye view of the path into the woods, so mama takes off every time we
approach the playhouse, and soars around until we go away.  We have not seen
the
male near the nest, although presumably he's bringing food at times.
Short of staying out of the woods entirely (not a very acceptable idea), any
advice on how we can minimize disruption to the incubation and subsequent
fledging?  We don't know if this is a new nest, or one they've used before, as
up
until building the playhouse, we weren't in the woods much in the spring.  But
the playhouse was in construction from October until March, so they must have
occupied the nest this year despite the activity level.
Deanna