[va-richmond-general] Allen's Hummingbird 26 November 2010 Chester, VA

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Virginia Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 20:27:34 +0000 (UTC)

A hatch-year female Allen's Hummingbird that was originally thought to be Female Rufous Hummingbird was banded and released in our yard in Chester yesterday by Bruce Peterjohn and David Holmes from Laurel, Maryland. The little hummingbird was first seen on Nov. 20 feeding on Mexican Sage. After her discovery feeders were promptly but back up in the garden. Several perennials continue to bloom and provide food for the hummingbird as well as the feeders. She weighed 3.88 grams and had some significant feather wear. She was successfully released after being studied and banded.

This was beyond exciting and from what I understand from Bruce a 2nd Virginia state record for this bird.

Julie Kacmarcik

Chester, VA