[va-richmond-general] 42nd St. - Sunday A.M.

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <VA-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:40:05 -0400

    Saw and heard nearly 50 species of birds in about 4 1/2 hours this morning
at 42nd Street - James River Park. Most notably, I heard a Yellow-throated
Vireo at the beginning of the bridge. I might have seen it, but I'm not sure
because the light at that particular spot was poor. The Bonaparte's, for the
most part, seem to have moved on as I only saw one today, and it took some
searching to find it among all the Ring-billed Gulls. Here is the complete
list. (h) means heard only.
Mourning Dove - 4
White-eyed Vireo - 1 (heard others)
Yellow-rumped Warbler - EVERYWHERE (at least 40)
Chimney Swift - 2
Downy Woodpecker - 5. One male was intent on drumming in a small wet area near
the beginning of the meadow. He was drumming on and off for a couple of hours.
It was fun watching him drum, then stop and turn his head to listen to the
response/s he got.
Hairy Woodpecker - 1 male, seen/heard near the above-mentioned drumming Downy.
No mistaking that chisel of his!
American Goldfinch - just as ubiquitous as the Butter-Butts. Saw 9, heard at
least twice as many. Two trees seemed be FULL of them.
Tufted Titmouse - 4
Blue Jay - 9
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 4 (heard at least that many others)
Yellow-throated Vireo (h)
Northern Cardinal - 9
Red-winged Blackbird - 1
Cedar Waxwing - 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (h)
White-throated Sparrow - 20, minimum. Heard about 1/2 that many others. I have
a late date of May 22 for this species. Anyone have anything later?
Prothonotary Warbler - 2 (heard 2 or 3 others)
Chipping Sparrow (h)
Eastern Towhee - 1 (heard others)
Carolina Wren - 2
Brown-heard Cowbird - 1 (heard others)
Canada Goose - 15
Palm Warbler - 1 (probably "yellow" phase, though only got a glimpse of it)
Black and White Warbler - 1 male
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 5
Carolina Chickadee - 1 (surprisingly. Only heard one or two others)
Belted Kingfisher - 1
Double-crested Cormorant - 5
Northern Parula (h - 2 or 3)
Song Sparrow - 3
American Robin - 8
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
European Starling - 6
Turkey Vulture - 2
Mallard - 3
Common Grackle - 5
Northern Mockingbird - 1
Great Blue Heron - 1
Northern Flicker (h)
Osprey - 1 or 2. According to Al Warfield, he was in the same spot today as he
was yesterday.
Eastern Phoebe (h)
Ring-billed Gull - "only" about 50
Yellow-throated Warbler (h - 2 or 3)
Herring Gull - 4 (all immature)
Greater Black-backed Gull - 1 (immature)
Bonaparte's Gull - 1

Also had the following butterflies:
Tiger Swallowtail - 4
Silver-spotted Skipper - 1