[va-bird] recommend a field guide for our area??

  • From: Steve Johnson <stevejohnson2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 06:16:27 -0400

This should be good for a few replies. I hope this is sufficiently on-topic for VA-BIRD. I want to buy an up-to-date field guide, mostly to adapt to the newer species definitions from the A.O.U. My favorite in recent years has been the National Geographic guide.

I have heard a lot of good press about Sibley's guides. But I looked through one at the bookstore, and the paintings (in the copy I saw) were absurdly colorful. I was looking through the wood warblers and it looked like they had gotten the right colors and then overprinted the page about 3 times.

Has anyone else noticed this? Are there different editions of Sibley? Is this excessive color considered a feature of Sibley guides? (Maybe it's supposed to be helpful in poor lighting conditions.)

I was also disappointed in the "Similar Species" sections - I saw little or nothing on that topic in the Sibley guide I was looking at. Again, should I be looking at a different edition of Sibley? Or does anyone have a recommendation for a guide with good discussions of similar species?

Thank you!!

- Steve Johnson
Fairfax, VA
stevejohnson2 (at) verizon.net