[va-bird] kayaking at Pocahontas State Park

  • From: "Lee Adams" <ladams42@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "VA Bird" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:21:24 -0400

Becky Currin and I kayaked at Pocahontas on Sunday afternoon. What a glorious day! An adult Bald Eagle kept circling overhead. It perched in a tall pine for a while. A Broad-winged Hawk that we saw perched on the top of a dead tree caught a thermal and rode on out of there. I heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo and a very agitated Pileated Woodpecker. A Belted Kingfisher hit the water with a big splash and caught lunch.

Two Great Egrets stalked their prey and made a beautiful picture walking through flowering lily pads. Immature Eastern Phoebes seemed to be everywhere. Sadly the fish weren't biting but it certainly was great weather for the dog days of August.

Lee

Lee Loudenslager Adams
Fredericksburg, VA
ladams42@xxxxxxx