[va-bird] kayaking Mt. Landing Creek

  • From: "Lee Adams" <ladams42@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "VA Bird" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:12:15 -0400

Yesterday my sister and I kayaked and fished Mt. Landing Creek in Essex County. We put the kayaks in just north of the Rt. 17 bridge on the northbound side of the divided highway. We saw Ospreys and a Bald Eagle. There were Great Blue Herons flying high over head. We heard Yellow-billed Cuckoos frequently as well as Yellow Warblers. Marsh Wrens were everywhere singing their lovely song and popping up on top of a reed to see what we were about. But the most fun came when Susan called to me and asked what this miniature heron was. I had had a 3 second glimpse of a Least Bittern flying over my head and settling down into the marsh. I had fished ahead of Susan in a little gut off the main creek and when she called to me paddled back toward her. The Least Bittern seemed totally unconcerned with our talking and floating fairly close to it. With its incredible feet it worked its way down a reed and close to the water. The first strike for a minnow we saw was a miss. When it got one it didn't eat it but took it back up and into the reeds. Soon it was back. Of course I had left my digital camera in the car but had Susan's cheap underwater camera out of its casing and took some pictures.

We fished another half an hour up the gut until low tide left us with low water. When we came back by the spot the Least Bittern was on another mallow branch trying its luck there. Red-eyed Vireos and Common Yellow-throats seemed to compete with Red-winged Blackbirds for the honor of MOST CHATTY BIRD on the creek. In the reeds near the dock for the Rappahannock River Valley NWR was a bird sound I couldn't identify. At least I think it was a bird. It definitely sounded like it was on, or near the ground and not far into the reeds. It went kuk, kuk, kuk, kuk, kuk. It sounded closer to a cuckoo than a rail but didn't seem to have the right rhythm for either. It wasn't a Wild Turkey because we hear those a lot and know most of those sounds. For those with finesse hearing it was a kuk instead of a perk or a kowp. This morning on Little Totuskey Creek in Richmond County I heard the same call. (Yesterday the fishing was great for yellow and white perch and catfish.)

Lee Loudenslager Adams
Fredericksburg, VA
ladams42@xxxxxxx