[va-bird] eastern shore birding

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:45:42 -0500

All,

Fenton Day and I spent the day birding a few spots in Northampton County. We began at Kiptopeke around 9:00am where the ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER was sitting in a bare tree visible from the parking lot. It allowed us to approach as close as 20 feet as the tree was that close to the sidewalk. Nice! We spent sometime chatting on the hawk watch platform and the flycatcher was no where to be found when we left around 10:00 nor was it there when we returned at 2:00. Seems to be a morning bird these days. The male EURASIAN WIGEON at Bulls pond called twice before we were able to locate it among the hundred or so wigeon there. A very nice and distinct single whistle. Thanks to a tip from Jethro Runco, song bander extraordinare, we found what appeared to be a female rufous morph Eurasian Wigeon at the landfill. This bird was the only wigeon there and was clearly not an American. It had a rich rufous brown head color that extended down the neck and continued onto the chest. There was no gray as seen as on an American. The only field guide we found that depicts a female in this plumage is National Geographic though the bird looked very much like the basic plumaged (Jul - Sep) male Eurasian Wigeon depicted in the Sibley Guide. I suppose it could be male but if so it's in the entirely wrong plumage for late November. Anyway, it was an interesting bird and I always a good trip to the landfill. We searched in vane for Cave Swallows and came up empty. About 15 Tree Swallows passed over the hawk watch platform while we were there but there were no Cave's among them.

Happy birding.

Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org