[va-bird] dying cormorants

  • From: Frederick Atwood <fredatwood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:28:32 -0700 (PDT)

I was wondering if any of you all have noticed
this or can give an explanation of it.
The family of one of my students has a place down
near Reedville in the Northern Neck.  Last
weekend he noticed over a dozen dead cormorants
along the shoreline.  He also saw one sick/dying
cormorant who could not fly. It was swimming in
the water, twitching its neck, and gaping its
mouth open and closed.  Anyone know anything
about this?

Frederick D. Atwood     fredatwood@xxxxxxxxx
Flint Hill School, 10409 Academic Dr, Oakton, VA 22124