[va-bird] brown booby YES

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:00:59 -0400

VA Birders,

Todd Day, Mike Day, and myself headed out early this morning for Virginia Beach to see the Brown Booby. We arrived at First Landing State Park a little after 10:00am and walked out to the viewing platform near the visitor's center. We were able to see the bird from there but wanted a better view so we went down to the last boardwalk over the dunes from the camp ground. This put us directly in front of the pound net poles where the booby sits and we got excellent views of the bird from there. We were giddy with joy at seeing the bird so easily and not hitting traffic when we headed home around 10:45am. But.... then we came to a dead stop on I-64 about 4 miles east of the HRBT. There we sat for 30 minutes without moving. When we finally began to crawl again we cleared the other side of the tunnel in another 30 minutes. So much for giddiness. A small price to pay for such a lovely bird though.

Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org