[va-bird] Willow Flycatchers at Julie Metz, 06.14.06

  • From: "Sandra Farkas" <sandralfarkas2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:08:10 -0400

Hello All,

After finishing up the point counts at OBNWR, Gary Myers and I decided to go look for the Willow Flycatcher nest that was reported by Marc Ribaudo at Julie Metz.

It started to rain as we approached the blind, but we saw two birds gleaning insects across the water in a Black Willow tree. We never saw the nest, but did clearly see a bird perch. We knew it was a flycatcher, but when we heard the fitz-bew, we both got big grins on our faces. We promptly packed our gear and headed out only to find another Willow Flycatcher perched on top of another willow singing its fitz-bew song.

Sandy Farkas
Springfield, VA