[va-bird] Warblers and Red-eyed Vireo at Prince William Forest Park

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:00:58 -0400

Va-Birders,

Nine members of the Audubon Society of Northern Virginia enjoyed a perfect spring day looking for spring migrant birds, but not overlooking abundant butterflies, wildflowers, and one snake.

We explored parts of the Old Top Black Top Road, Taylor Farm Road, High Meadows Trail, and the South Valley Trail, seeing and hearing many winter residents, soon to be migrating north to breed, and some early arriving birds who may stay on to nest at Prince William Forest. We had 6 warbler species and a RED-EYED VIREO.

Birds seen and/or heard today were:

Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Pine Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
Ovenbird (heard only by leader driving out of park)
Louisiana Waterthrush
Chipping Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
No Cardinal