[va-bird] VIRGINIA BIRDS, North Region

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:48:16 -0400

VA-Birders,

Many of you are now familiar with VIRGINIA BIRDS, a quarterly journal published since the summer of 2004 by the Virginia Society of Ornithology. This journal is one of the benefits of membership in the VSO and membership is a bargain at only $15 a year. http:// www.virginiabirds.net/

Each issue includes reports from the eight regions in the Commonwealth detailing bird sightings of interest, including early and late dates, as well as indications of change in distribution and abundance. The North Region includes Arlington, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Frederick, Loudoun, Madison, Page, Prince William, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, Stafford and Warren Counties; and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, Manassas Park, and Winchester.

Kurt Gaskill has done an outstanding job as regional editor for this part of the Commonwealth but will not be continuing. I will pick up where he left off and so will be looking to all of you in the North Region to send me reports of your significant bird sightings. I will be monitoring VA-Bird very closely, but not all of you report your sightings to the list. Please send them to me directly if that is the case. Digital photographs of your sightings are invited as well!

The spring period extends from March through May. Please send reports to me as soon as your have them but, at the latest, within a few days of the end of the spring period.

Thanks to all of you for your contributions!

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria
paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx