[va-bird] VA sightings - White Pelicans - NO!

Despite searching along the Potomac River from north of Alexandria down to
the Bellehaven Picnic area, Monday morning, I failed to find the American
White Pelicans that have been reported sporadically for the past week.
Perhaps the weather front has pushed them off to the south.

However, it was a pleasant if cool day and various spots had interesting
birds as follows:

Mouth of Hunting Creek, both upstream and downstream of the bridge on the
Mt. Vernon Highway:

at least 50 LESSER YELLOWLEGS
22 PECTORAL SANDPIPER
4 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER
couple of CASPIAN TERN
20+ FORSTER'S TERN

Bellehaven Picnic Area:

1 (imm.) BALD EAGLE
1 OSPREY
100+ RUDDY DUCK (some males still in breeding plumage, and with a drake
LESSER SCAUP in the middle of the flock)
ca. 200 NORTHERN SHOVELER
just a few AMERICAN BLACK DUCK
numerous PIED-BILLED GREBE, here and there

Huntley Meadows County Park, Fairfax County:

2 GREATER YELLOWLEGS
ca. 30 LESSER YELLOWLEGS
1 PECTORAL SANDPIPER
3 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER
1 SOLITARY SANDPIPER
3 WILSON'S SNIPE
1 SHARP-SHINNED HAWK chasing one  of the local RED-SHOULDERED Hawks.

I also ran into some folks who had seen 1-2 AMERICAN PIPITS at Huntley
earlier in the morning.  Ron Staley reported seeing a BUDGERIGAR in Huntley
about 1 p.m.  He may have separately reported this.

Mike Bowen
Bethesda. MD

D.H. Michael Bowen
8609 Ewing Drive