[va-bird] Swallow-tailed Kite, Fairfax County

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:36:29 -0400

All,

Around 3:30 this afternoon, I was driving a group of students back from an ecology field trip when a bird caught my eye. I was traveling east on Braddock Road and was approaching the intersection with the Fairfax County Parkway and the bird was sailing by heading south along the Fairfax County Parkway. It was light and had very long swept back wings and an extremely long tail. My first impression was Swallow-tailed Kite but I immediately tried to talk my into something else as that seemed unlikely. I tried to convince myself it was a Northern Harrier but that just wasn't adding up. Fortunately the light turned red and we had to stop. I pointed the bird out to several of the students who could see out the windows and we watched as it suddenly banked and circled. The long split tail streamers and black upper coverts were easily seen even without binoculars as the bird banked towards us and circled away. The light changed then and I had to move on. I don't recall seeing the underside of the bird but I didn't need to. There was no mistaking what it was. Wow.

Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org