[va-bird] Stafford County birding

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:03:46 -0500

VA Birders,

After visiting the Prince William Landfill this morning, Fenton Day and I headed to Stafford County for a little county listing. We went to Aquia Landing and drove the roads heading east and west along the water there before walking out to the tip of the landing. We noted at least 60 Pied-billed Grebes along the water there. They were in groups of 5-10 and seemed to be everywhere. There were many Swamp Sparrows along the road out to the landing and we heard two separate Marsh Wrens as well as a Virginia Rail while we were walking back to the car. At the tip there was a small flock of Ruddy Ducks and Bufflehead (all females interestingly enough) but no other ducks to speak of. Perhaps the best sighting of all was an adult Bald Eagle that flew low over the water right in front of us with a fish in its talons. It landed on a pole in the water perhaps 50 yards from us and devoured the fish right before our eyes. If only I had had a camera! When the bird finished the fish, it sat a top the pole perhaps contemplating its next meal. It's feet were flat on the top of the pole and the talons were so long that its toes were raised up to accomodate them. Glad I wasn't that fish!

Good birding,
Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org