[va-bird] Southwest VA, 20-22 April, Least Flycatchers et al.

  • From: Dave Hewitt <dhewitt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:17:02 -0400

Folks-
A late post - my apologies. One of these species appears to be new to Todd's arrivals list (LEAST FLYCATCHER).
I spent Thurs afternoon through Sat night collecting fish and intermittently birding in the mountains of SW VA, with UVA's Mountain Lake Biological Station as a home base (Pembroke, Giles County). The station itself is about 4000 ft up Salt Pond Mountain, so its bird assemblage was not especially diverse yet.
At the station, BLUE-HEADED VIREOS and LEAST FLYCATCHERS were abundant and very vocal. I suspect both arrived earlier than Thurs, as they had established clear territories. Also observed around the station were WHITE-BREASTED and RED-BREASTED NUTCHATCHES, the much-studied DARK-EYED JUNCOS, a number of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, as well as many common birds I failed to write down (but included BLUEBIRDS, BARN SWALLOWS, TREE SWALLOWS, CHIPPING SPARROWS, ROBINS, CARDINALS, etc.). We also heard an EASTERN SCREECH OWL and someone in the group saw a RUFFED GROUSE.
Out and about during collecting trips we saw NO. PARULAS and RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS in abundance and I heard one CERULEAN WARBLER, though I was not able to get a look at it (very unfortunate for me, as I have never seen one!). We also saw a group of BANK SWALLOWS that had returned to their holes in the river bank at the same spot on the Roanoke River where they nest every year.
  That's all I can remember that strikes me as interesting.

Dave Hewitt
Gloucester, VA