[va-bird] Snowy Owl, Dulles Airport

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:03:59 -0500

All

This morning about 9:45 Mark Adams, Dave Hogg, and myself found the Snowy Owl at Dulles Airport after looking for over an hour. It was sitting on the grass behind an Airborne Express plane and couldn't be seen from the corner of the parking garage where folks have typically been searching from. To escape the cold, I took a drive up to the top deck and had a look around where I spotting the owl (lesson learned - always check the top deck first!). It was sitting in the closest strip of grass between the tarmac where the planes park and the first service road just to the right of a yellow runway marker with the letter Y on it. It was still sitting there at 10:15 when we left.

Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org