[va-bird] Snow Geese, Brewer's Blackbirds, Nokesville, 11/27/03

Happy Thanksgiving!
This morning, I found two Snow Geese (imm.) in a large flock of Canada Geese,
along Parkgate Dr. (Rt. 653) in Nokesville (Prince William Co.). I first saw
the Snow Geese with the Canadas on 11/24.

I then drove down to the dairy farm on Fleetwood Dr., where the Brewer's
Blackbirds were last winter, and saw 6 of them (4 males, 2 females). To get to
this dairy farm (DeLorme pg.76 C-1), take Fleetwood Drive (Rt. 611) south from
where it intersects with Aden Rd. (Rt. 646) for about 3/4 of a mile and the
farm
is on the right. I park in the old Asbury Church driveway adjacent to the
farm.

While watching the Brewer's foraging in the cow pasture with Killdeer, I
heard the soft rattling of Red-headed Woodpeckers. I soon found 4 or 5 of them
flitting about in the first major treeline just west of the church.

Laura Catterton
Manassas, Virginia