[va-bird] Re: Short-eared Owls, Fauquier County

In a message dated 02/01/03 9:35:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
northraven@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> been wondering where all the SEOWs were.  can you give us a bit more
> detail on location?  I, at least, don't recall the previous posting.  jck

I can't say where all of them are, but there were at least three near
Rectortown tonight.  There have been a couple at Bull Run Post Office Road in
Fairfax County as well, also posted here previously.

Directions:  Find your way to the intersection of I-66 and US 17 South.  I
think it is exit 28, but that might be wrong.  One direction will say
Warrenton, the other says Marshall.  You want Marshall.  Go north from this
exit, which might be route 710.  In a mile or so there is a traffic light in
the heart of Marshall.  Go straight across.  That is indeed route 710.  In a
few miles or so is Rectortown.  Pass through it.  As you head north from
Rectortown, the trees end and the fields begin.  There is a farm on the left
with black rail fence (there is a lot of black rail fence out there), and it
might be called Edgewood or Edgemere or something similar.  There is ample
room to pull off here and park well off the road.  However, it might be a bit
of a better vantage to head another half-mile or so north to two gates on
both sides of the road.  Here we parked and looked southeast mostly, on the
field with the grass that isn't knee high.  There is a corn stubble field
adjacent, and a cow pasture on the west side of the road.  There isn't room
for many cars here, and the ground was rather soft and muddy today.  Parking
on 710 isn't possible, nor legal.

Cheers...

Todd