[va-bird] Rough-legged Hawks & Short-eared Owls, Loudoun Co., Again!

Stopped by Montressor Rd again today & saw numerous Rough-legged Hawks as well
as 2 Short-eared Owls.  Ran into Stan Shetler there who was sure there were at
least 8 Rough-legged Hawks in the area - I would have to agree w/him.  Saw the
first owl a little before 5 p.m.  Both owls, a male & a female, were
interacting for a while & made that strange barking sound they make.  When I
saw the first owl it was perched in a tree right alongside the road as were
several of the Rough-legged Hawks.
The large mixed flock of sparrows was again present in the area where
Montressor Rd makes a 90 degree turn north.  Lots of Tree Sparrows in the mixed
flock.  There was a Meadowlark in the same area as well as an immature Harrier
& a male Am. Kestrel.  I also think this is the area where Stan saw the Merlin
today & Liam yesterday.

I'm not sure how they could squeeze in but there were also a couple of
Red-tailed Hawks in the area.

Montressor Rd, Rt. 661, is 2 or 3 miles north of Leesburg, Loudoun Co. & about
the same distance south of Lucketts.  It run west & north from Rt. 15.  If you
are going north from Leesburg it is the 1st numbered road on Rt. 15 on the left
after you pass the turn off to White's Ferry on your right.

Joe Coleman