[va-bird] Report for Huntley Meadows do April 16

I conducted my weekly survey along the Hike-Bike Trail at Huntley Meadows
today.  One Red-breasted Nuthatch persists in the Virginia Pines and a pair of
Eastern Phoebes are preparing to nest at the Maintenance Building. Ovenbirds
have arrived in force; I counted 5 in the area of the Pond Trail. Hermit
Thrushes are in full song as they prepare for their migration north. I got 4 of
them.

Jeff Clark and Greg Beck joined me in the Main Meadow, where we tallied 6
Purple Finches, including a singing male, 4 Palm Warblers, a singing Pine
Warbler, several Common Yellowthroats, a small flock of  7 Rusty Blackbirds,
and a Brown Thrasher. (Jeff and Greg also reported that earlier that morning
they heard a Barred Owl and spotted a perched Black Vulture.)

I concluded the survey after parting ways with Jeff and Greg along the Main
Marsh, picking up a few more yellowthroats and another flock of 18 Rusty
Blackbirds.

Larry Cartwright
prowarbler@xxxxxxxxxxx