[va-bird] Remington area, Fauquier Co.

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 20:41:32 -0400

Va-Birders,

Sharon Lynn and I tried to find Upland Sandpipers in the Remington area today, but found nary a one. We bumped into Gerry Weinberger whose hopes were similarly dashed. We scoured all of the Woodward Turf Farm from both Normans Ford (Rt. 654) and Sumerduck Roads (Rt. 651). "Turf Farm" is kind of a misnomer now, since about half of it is planted in soybeans. Maybe the Uppies have decided soybean fields are not to their liking and have moved on?

We found only one Dickcissel. It was near the intersection of Savannah Branch (Rt. 668) and Sumerduck Roads. We glimpsed it fly and then heard it sing repeatedly from deep in the field. This species is not usually hard to see, once it is heard, since it favors high perches such as telephone wires and posts, but this bird remained illusive.

We still found a few of those little gems of the fields, Grasshopper Sparrows, who posed and sang for us along Grassdale Road (Rt. 755). We saw males, females, and a scruffy juvenile. We heard a few elsewhere in the area as well. We also enjoyed watching a couple of Horned Larks foraging on some exposed bare ground on the sod farm property and found Meadowlarks everywhere.

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria