[va-bird] Questions for back-yard feeders....

  • From: Jim Poor <jtpoor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 09:27:07 -0400

I'm trying to build up a feeder or two per payday but I have a few questions for the VA birders who feed in the back yard...

Where do you get reasonably priced feeders that will last?

Where do you get seed/suet etc without spending more than you do on your grocery budget for people?

Any recipes for do-it-yourself seed cakes etc?

Right now I have 4 hopper feeders, and 4 suet cages along with one hummingbird feeder. (think it's too late this year for the hummers)

Which brings me a question about the season,,, What seed, suet, other mix should I have right now? and what would be a good start for some bird houses this time of year?

So far, I've had suet out for 3 weeks or so and nothing is really eating it that much. Seed cakes are doing well, as is sunflower seed, and mixed seed.

For the time being, I get the seed at walmart.

I have some feeder poles to mount to the deck that I got from Lowe's, they are a little high, but not quite as high as the specialty places like Wild Bird Center etc.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Jim
Fairfax (Greenbriar area)