[va-bird] Re: Proposed bill for Sunday hunting

  • From: Christian Kessler <northraven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Icepeep@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 21:07:40 -0500

Sunday is the sabbath only for certain among us, and while I won't address yours, I don't know that my God has spoken on the subject, or even has an opinion. & if we are to abide by the blue laws, the original proposition was that we would be in church or at home with our spouse all Sunday, not birding from dawn, or mowing the lawn, or shopping at the mall, or even the grocery store. as to Cheney & Whittington, each of them did something very stupid to generate that result (and they were on private property). I've been a birder for 48 years (since I was 10), and a hunter part of that time. never been shot at, tho was nearly run over by a fellow birder more focused on his next listing opportunity than on me (I'm a lister too). don't know the statistics on hunters killed (or wounded) by other hunters as compared to hunters who slip from tree stands, but my guess is that the numbers are closer than your post would imply. this is not an open or shut case, especially when at least here in northern Virginia much of the birding areas are closed to hunting for other (valid) reasons. Saturday's in the autumn are frequently unavailable to me due to the travel requirements of my job. probably best if we all read the actual legislation and then offer our opinions to our elected representative. experience indicates we will not solve it here.
chris kessler
falls church

Icepeep@xxxxxxx wrote:

Several birdiers have been shot while birding.........and killed. I was shot by a duck hunter in Massachusetts while I was fishing. And while duck hunting on Cape Cod I was hit by a pheasant hunter. Sprayed me with six shot. But no one kills more hunters every year than other hunters. Just ask Harry Whittington. I hunted for decades in Mass. and never needed Sunday for hunting. It gave us an excuse to ice fish or go down to the Cape and try for holdover stripers or sea run trout. I don't recall ever hearing a hunter complain that we needed another day to hunt. It gave many people an incentive to take another week day off. Sunday was for walkers and birders and it was also a Blue Law. The Lord doesn't like noise on His day.
Bob Abrams
McLean, Virginia