[va-bird] Re: Proposed bill for Sunday hunting

  • From: "Suzanne Richman" <suzanne_richman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tomlyn@xxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 09:30:38 -0500

I wonder if the bill that was passed that you refer to can be reversed. Is this a US or VA law?

From: "Tom & Lynda Blair" <tomlyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "va-bird" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [va-bird] Re: Proposed bill for Sunday hunting
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:02:02 -0500

I don't know about the birding conditions in Alexandria or much of the northern part of the state, but here in New Kent County, it wouldn't be wise to be laying on the ground at the edge of the water, taking pictures of ducks on any day but a Sunday. Even at the Cumberland Marsh Reserve. This was a no hunting preserve until last year when another such amendment (actually a little-known mandate) to a bill was passed, making any water, even on reserves and private land, legal to be hunted. Of course, I was unaware that such a sneaky little bill was attached to something else and passed without any notice.
I always check to make sure there is no hunting before venturing out to bird on any day but Sunday. This past month, I was alone, lying on my stomach at the edge of Holt's Creek at the Cumberland Marsh, taking pictures of Green-winged Teals when a hunter in a canoe with a motor attached, came by and began blasting away at the birds I was just photographing. I was shaken up to say the least. Especially after carefully checking that this was indeed a No Hunting area.
After sending an email to the Nature Conservancy, I was informed of the amendment that forced them and others to allow hunters access to formerly safe havens for birds and people. The NTC was negligent in not posting signs about hunters being in the area, so I suppose they were lucky that I wasn't shot. I have been going there weekly for over a year and didn't think I had a reason to worry on a Thursday morning.
Hunting has undergone a decline in the US as a result of Suburbanization and changing attitudes towards killing animals.
According to a poll by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, only 6% of the adult population hunted in 2001, and a whopping 31% photographed, observed or fed wildlife.
The statistical info can be found here, as to revenues generated by hunters vs, non-consumptive wildlife enthusiasts. The argument that hunters are the greatest support of conservation just doesn't cut it anymore.
http://library.fws.gov/nat_survey2001_birding.pdf
Must the hunters have every day of the week to take the lives of the creatures we enjoy observing and photographing? I really don't think it's too much to ask for one day a week for the wildlife to have a break and allow the people to enjoy watching them.
Lynda Blair
New Kent County