[va-bird] Prince William Forest Park, Pr. Wm. County

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:35:59 -0500

VA-Birders,

Hoping to find a LA Waterthrush and some of the good birds that Marc Ribaudo saw on Saturday at Prince William Forest Park, Sharon Lynn and I hiked Mawavi Road and a bit of the South Valley Trail this morning. We found the park very smoky along the scenic drive and learned that fire fighters were putting down a forest fire in the vicinity of the Oakridge Campground. We ran into one of the fire fighters about mid-morning who said the fire, which started yesterday, was mostly out. Conditions are very dry in the park and the danger of fire must be extremely high.

We neither saw nor heard a waterthrush, but our best bird by far was a singing HOODED WARBLER not far from the Mawavi Rd. parking lot. We did not see it, but heard it well 4 or 5 times. We both were totally confident of the ID. We are well aware that this is over three weeks earlier than the early date for that park for this species, although In breeding season this park has more Hoodeds than any other place in No Virginia, as far as I know. There has been very little movement of neo-tropical migrants through our area so far this spring and over- wintering seems unlikely for this species. They can be casual in the southern US, but no further north than South Carolina from what I have read. So readers are welcome to doubt the report, if they choose. If I were not writing the report, I might doubt it myself!

Other species of note:

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1
Eastern Phoebe  - 4
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 4