[va-bird] Presumed Glossy Ibis, Prince William County

VA Birders:

  This afternoon, a co-worker (Taylor Sprenkle) alerted me to an ibis he found
while doing vegetation monitoring in some newly created wetlands in the New
Bristow Village development between Manassas and Nokesville in Prince William
County.  I ran by after work and confirmed that it is an immature Plegadis
ibis.  I presume it is a glossy ibis based on likelihood, but it was some
distance away and I didn't have my scope with me to get a good look at the face
pattern and color.

  If you're interested in looking for the ibis, take Rte 28 south from Rte. 234
south of Manassas.  About a half mile or so south of Bristow Road, take a left
into the subdivision on Bristow Village Boulevard (I think - it's not on my 8th
Edition ADC map).  In the center of the subdivision is a pond that has been
retrofitted as a regional stormwater management pond, and it has been designed
to include an emergent wetland bench along the pond shore.  There's not yet
much vegetation along the pond shore, but there's enough vegetation to attract
the ibis.  There are parking spaces behind a community center building on
Bristow Village Blvd, and there is a paved trail around the pond.  Late this
afternoon, the ibis was feeding on the far (east) edge of the small island in
the pond.  A great egret and many Canada geese were also at the pond.

  Good birding.
  Craig Tumer
  College Park, MD

starting at 1¢/min.