[va-bird] PROTHONOTARY WARBLER Reston (F'fax County)

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:40:17 -0500

Birders,

I was surprised this afternoon to see a female PROTHONOTARY WARBLER at my backyard feeders. I've never seen this bird at feeders before. She first checked out the suet feeder; that was empty (I was actually looking outside because I was about to go fill it) so she went to a seed feeder. She flew back and forth between that feeder and the nearby holly tree twice, then I lost her.

I got excellent looks at her, and am confident of the ID. Thin dark bill, blue-gray wings, olive-yellow back, brighter yellow head and breast, white belly. Happy spring!

Good birding,

Jodi Bucknam
Reston, VA (Fairfax County)