[va-bird] Northern Virginia Birding Calendar

  • From: Paul Kane <pmkane@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 21:33:56 -0400

All,

The June 06 Northern Virginia Birding calendar has been published. Find a link to the calendar on the sidebar of the Bird WALKS page of the Birding Northern Virginia web site, www.homepage.mac.com/pmkane.

I continue to receive email regarding the utility of the calendar. The other day day I received an email with the following excerpt:

Hi Paul,

I led a walk this morning in Reston that was on your calendar. Just wanted to let you know that there was a guy visiting from Vermont who found out about the walk and how to get there from your calendar. So, your calendar is serving its purpose. Thanks!

If you look at the Birding Northern Virginia web site, you may notice some changes since the site was last published The web site is currently being featured on the Karelia Software web site, http:// www.karelia.com. For the moment, a small piece of the Northern Virginia birding story is being told elsewhere, and I know from experience that the Sandvox web design program is a brilliant piece of software.

Check out the draft Venue Notes that are beginning to appear on the sidebar of the BIRDING VENUES page of the Birding Northern Virginia web site. I will be spending the summer writing Venue Notes for all of the venues listed on this page. Right now, I am trying to figure out how these notes should be formatted. Any ideas in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

If you happen to be interested in writing a set of Venue Notes for the Birding Northern Virginia web site, I will put your notes on line for any birding venue in Northern Virginia. In general Venue Notes should include: driving directions, habitat description, destination species, tips on birding a venue, and the locations of nearby birding venues. Of course, you will receive the credit for any notes you write that are actually published. If you are confused, check out the BIRDING VENUES page of my site.

Paul Kane
Falls Church, VA