[va-bird] Re: Nighthawks at Tyson's Corner

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "VABIRD" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:12:33 -0400

For those people who haven't been there before: the location where I see nighthawks it the Cable & Wireless building at Gallows Rd and Boone Blvd near Route 7. There are two pyramid shaped roofs that are illuminated from about 8:30 pm to 10:00 pm You can pull into the parking lot to watch. They are also over Fairfax Square a little to the NE. Its darker here and the nighthawks are little harder to see. If you walk to the east side of the building along Aline Ave you can get a better view for seeing all the birds present.
The best time is probably around 9 PM before the birds start moving higher. There is no guarantee they will be there are any given night although my record so far is 16 of 17 times I have watched I have seen them.

Paul Woodward
Fairfax City, VA
grackling@xxxxxxx