[va-bird] Nighthawk Update

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "VABIRD" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:49:49 -0400

For a variety of reasons I didn't return to the Common Nighthawk's nocturnal feeding area at Tyson's Corner, Fairfax Co, VA , until 5 days after I first saw them there. On that evening(May 10) I had 3 birds feeding over the buildings.
Since that time I have been back three evenings- there were 15 nighthawks on May 12, 15 again on May 13, and 12 last night (May 15). I have only heard them once- on May 12. At times they are feeding extremely high and are not easy to see.
This morning I saw and heard one flying to the SE near George Mason University.

Paul Woodward
Fairfax City, VA
grackling@xxxxxxx