[va-bird] NVBC trip to Chopawamsic Creek, Quantico

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:49:46 -0500

Va-Birders,

Soon, waterfowl wintering in our area will be leaving for their breeding grounds, and Chopawamsic Creek on the Quantico Marine Base provided some last, lingering looks to 11 birders from the Northern Virginia Bird Club this morning. Tundra Swan numbers were outstanding at 450 plus. Early clouds actually gave us better viewing of the 10 species of ducks than the later sun with its glare on the water. Some distant rafts were impossible to identify with any certainty. The Great Blue Heron rookery held between 40 and 50 birds, many on their nests. What must have been an unwelcome presence in the middle of the heron rookery was a Bald Eagle nest with two adults. Thanks to co- leader, Joanna Taylor.

For those of you out there, particularly beginning birders, who would like to join us on our many trips around the area, check our website for membership application and trip schedule. http://www.nvabc.org/

Great Blue Heron  40-50
Black Vulture  6
Turkey Vulture  3
Canada Goose  8
Tundra Swan 450+
Wood Duck 8
American Wigeon (some within distant rafts of mixed species, number impossible to estimate)
American Black Duck  20
Mallard  6
No Pintail  12
Green-winged Teal 10
Ring-necked Duck 24
scaup, sp. 2
Lesser Scaup 2 (up to a couple hundred more possible in distant rafts)
Hooded Merganser 15
Common Merganser 35
Bald Eagle 3
Red-shouldered Hawk 1