[va-bird] Mason Neck SP--Robins, Mergansers

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:27:27 -0500

Birders,

A few dozen AMERICAN ROBINS seemed to be enjoying the springlike temperatures as much as I was this morning at Mason Neck State Park. Other highlights on the weekly bird walk this morning included COMMON MERGANSER and RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, including some nice extended looks at female Commons. Both adult and subadult BALD EAGLES were spotted in the marsh and over the bay. Full species list follows.

An interesting note, and something to watch in upcoming weeks, is that the beavers resident in the marsh near the Bay View Trail seem to be working on a new dam. Tide was quite low during the walk this morning, but water in the marsh above the dam was as deep as midway between high and low tides. Should be interesting to watch the dam progress as well as note changes in wildlife sightings as the habitat changes.

Please join us on Saturday mornings from 9am to 11am for the weekly bird walk here at Mason Neck State Park. We meet at the Visitor Center and begin with scoping the bay, then hike the easy one-mile Bay View Trail. The walk is free. The parking fee is $4/car. Please note that the bird walk will go on hiatus for the month of February, then resume in March. Any questions may be addressed to me at the address below. I am available Saturday through Wednesday.

Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck