[va-bird] Mason Neck SP walk 4/29: GC FLYCATCHER, BT GREEN

Birders,

Nine birders joined me yesterday for the bird walk at Mason Neck State Park. We enjoyed gorgeous weather and a host of vireos, warblers, orioles and more. First-of-seasons were many, including HOODED WARBLER, EASTERN KINGBIRD, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER. The full species list follows. **Information on the next MNSP bird walk is at the bottom of this email.

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose

Mallard
Turkey Vulture
Osprey

Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Greater Yellowlegs

Spotted Sandpiper
Ring-billed Gull
Caspian Tern

Belted Kingfisher
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Wood-Peewee (FOS)
Great Crested Flycatcher (FOS)
Eastern Kingbird (FOS)

Tree Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Eastern Bluebird
Gray Catbird
Cedar Waxwing

Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Black-throated Green Warbler (FOS)

Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler

Hooded Warbler (FOS)
Yellow Warbler
Northern Parula

Common Yellowthroat
White-throated Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole (FOS)

Baltimore Oriole (FOS)
American Goldfinch

The next MNSP bird walk will be the morning of May 6th. We meet at the Visitor Center for a 9am start. We take the Bay View Trail and finish in the Picnic Area at 11am.
***Please note that for May, June, and the rest of the summer, bird walks will be on the first and third Saturdays of each month, not every Saturday as they have been recently.
Bird walks at Mason Neck are free and require no advance reservations; a $4/car parking fee applies to all park visitors. Please address any questions to me using the contact information below.

Good birding,

Jodi Bucknam
Park Interpreter
Mason Neck State Park