[va-bird] Mason Neck SP Dec. 3

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 15:17:42 -0500

Hello birders,

Days like today I'm exceedingly grateful for materials like fleece. It was *cold* this morning-- 26F and breezy at 8am. Brr. Still, birding wasn't bad. Nothing unusual showed up, but I enjoyed watching a winter wren bobbing and trilling in the marsh. A brightly colored male towhee and a couple bald eagles made an appearance as well. Species list follows.

Lesser Scaup
Northern Mockingbird
Carolina Wren
Ruddy Duck
Eastern Bluebird
Bald Eagle (one adult, one immature)
American Crow
Mourning Dove
Fish Crow
Eastern Towhee
Dark-eyed Junco
White-throated Sparrow
Bufflehead
Canada Goose
White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-breasted Woodpecker
Winter Wren
Mallard
Blue Jay
Song Sparrow
Hermit Thrush
Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Ring-billed Gull

I lead the bird walk here at Mason Neck SP Saturdays from 7-10 am. All are welcome to come along. Time may change next month; stay tuned for further details. Parking is $4/car but programs are free of charge.

Happy birding!

--Jodi Bucknam, Park Interpreter
Mason Neck State Park
Lorton, VA