[va-bird] Manassas Battlefield

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:31:49 -0500

All,

I stopped by the power line cut at Manassas Battlefield this morning in
hopes of finding the Clay-colored Sparrow.  I struck out rather
resoundingly as I wasn't even able to find a Field Sparrow!  I walked
the entire powerline cut from the Jeb Stuart Visitor's Center to where
it crosses I-66 and found only a bunch of juncos, about 20 Song Sparrows
and one White-throated Sparrow.  Perhaps the flock has moved to another
area.  The power line cut continues north across Rt. 29 and there is
excellent habitat there.  On the other hand, I could have just missed
them somehow.  I would be interested to know if anyone sees this bird
again this winter.

I have had several signs of spring - a towhee singing last week for
starters and then the Pine Warbler singing in Highland County
yesterday.  Bring it on!

Sue
--
Susan Heath