[va-bird] MNSP walk 5/6: HOODED W., N. HARRIER

  • From: "Jodi Bucknam" <jodibucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 12:53:02 -0400

Birders,

Elaine (whose last name I didn't catch) and Kevin Parker joined me yesterday for the alternate-weekly bird walk here at Mason Neck State Park. Highlights included great views of a singing HOODED WARBLER, two EASTERN KINGBIRDS chasing each other through some chestnut oaks, and a NORTHERN HARRIER flying over Belmont Bay. Due to the dense leaves in the forest, many of our identifications were by song. A species list follows.

Double-crested Cormorant
Canada Goose
Wood Duck

Mallard
Turkey Vulture
Osprey

Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier (had the distinct white rump and slim harrier shape)
Red-bellied Woodpecker

Eastern Wood-Pewee
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird

Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Cedar Waxwing
European Starling
Red-eyed Vireo

Yellow-throated Vireo
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Northern Parula

Louisiana Waterthrush
Northern Cardinal
Chipping Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle

Brown-headed Cowbird
Orchard Oriole
American Goldinch

**Please note that we have switched to a summer schedule for the bird walks. They take place now on the first and third Saturdays of each month. Thus the next walk will be May 20th. The walks are free and need no reservations. Simply meet at the Visitor Center for a 9:00am start. From there we hike the one-mile Bay View Trail, so if you show up late, feel free to catch up with us. As always, a $4/car parking fee applies to all visitors. Please direct any questions to me at the address below.

Good birding,

Jodi Bucknam
Park Interpreter
Mason Neck State Park